I have an OpenBSD 5.9 and an OpenBSD 6.0 server each set up as email servers.
The v5.9 server adds a message-id header to outgoing emails, the v6.0 does
not. Looking at the change log for each release it states that for v5.9
"/Add Message-Id header if necessary/" and v6.0 "/Add missing date or
message-id when listening on the submit port/ ."

I don't use the submission port on either server, just port 25, but 5.9
sends a message-id and 6.0 does not. What does "/if necessary/" mean for the
5.9 server? What is the deciding factor to make the header necessary? I
would like the v6.0 server to send a message-id too, how do I make
whatever-it-is necessary on this server? Or was the "if necessary" feature
removed in 6.0 and replaced with "...submit port"?

Can anyone advise, please?