On Sun, Apr 02, 2017 at 06:14:50PM -0400, Ted Unangst wrote:
> Robert Peichaer wrote:
> > Parsing dmesg output always tends to be fragile, but what about this?
> > Use whatever is enclosed in <> in the dmesg output for a disk and get
> > the size from disklabel.
>
> This looks insane. If somebody can tell us what output they want, we can
> provide it in a more useful interface (sysctl, etc.) Then it might be useful
> in other scenarios too.

Hi,

yes IMO parsing /var/run/dmesg.boot is silly. It would be better way to have
better interface to list disks, although I'm not able to provide diffs.

My use case was running OpenBSD under qemu-kvm with direct-lun iscsi disks,
all having same lun size, passed via qemu natively or via local block device
on a Linux host. And my concern was how to distinguish these equaly big luns
inside installer.

j.