>Huh?  CDROMs are just about the only devices out there that don't use 512.  By
>default CDROMs use 2048 as the sector size.  I can't say this for sure about
>these machines but I would be very surprised to see something like this.
>
>Is this a sun thing?

No.

Almost all early Unix cdrom drives did this because the system boot
roms wered limited to dealing with 512 byte blocks.  Sun, SGI, HP at
least.  So the vendors changed the cdroms rather than change the boot
roms in the existing machines.  Some early cdrom vendors conviently
put jumper pads on the drive so you could fix it one way or another;
later other vendors had code which tried to guess what the system
wanted.

To the vendors it was easier.  In time, things became more adaptable.

I am sure that google would have told you this same history.