On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Ian Watts <i...@48thave.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback, Karel, Allan, and Kamil.  The motivation is
> long-term data storage reliability.  For example, my wife creates
> graphical books, which involves large files, plus other work and
> personal files.

so kind of SOHO NAS?

> Having a mirror is not terribly important, so doing a nightly sync to
> another machine is possible.

IMHO mirror is a nice to have and if you combine this with rsync to
backup in case of any changes, then even better.

> Since it's been mentioned, what SATA RAID controller cards are
> recommended for OpenBSD on i386?  I wonder if they would fit my budget.

Not in SATA RAID business, rather prefer simple HBA + softraid/ZFS
(not on OpenBSD) and since I'm using only SR-RAID1, then board's
number of SATA connectors is usually good enough.

But using i386/openbsd on AMD E2-3200 is IMHO pure waste of precious
CPU resources you do have at your disposal. I'd recommend to go with
amd64/openbsd on this.

> Has the "supported hardware" page been removed from the openbsd.org

I would start with man mpi/mpii/ami or so...

Karel