On 03/04/17(Mon) 10:41, Hrvoje Popovski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i'm reading some networking stuff and I saw Van Jacobson presentation
> about net channels concept.
> For me, as user that doesn't know net internals, this presentation seems
> quite reasonable.
>
> Beside that it's about linux network stack, what net gurus think about
> VJ net channels ?
>
> http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/vj/lca06vj.pdf

It's an interesting idea.  But you have to understand the context in
which it has been presented.  I doubt that replacing "mbuf queue" (see
mq_init(9)) by net channels will buy us anything for now.  We're still
in the phase of eliminating the 'softint' context and moving everything
to tasks, close to where the packets will be consumed, as explained in
the presentation.

Once that's done we might see if a lock-free FIFO helps to pass packets
between contexts.