On Fri, 21 Apr 2017, Jeff wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Apr 2017, Stefan Sperling wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 06:13:47PM -0600, Jeff wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a Sunfire V120 (Sparc) with mirrored disks running OpenBSD 6.0.
> > > I attempted to update to OpenBSD 6.1 using the files first from:
> > >
> > > http://mirrors.sonic.net/pub/OpenBSD/6.1/sparc64
> > >
> > > Then from:
> > >
> > > https://ftp3.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/6.1/sparc64
> > >
> > > First I tried to copy bsd.rd to / and boot from it.  When I boot
> > > using 6.1 bsd.rd (boot /bsd.rd), the boot messages still show
> > > OpenBSD 6.0.
> >
> > Did you actually type '/boot bsd.rd'?
> > When booting from softraid you need to pass the virtual 'sr' drive
> > as part of the boot path. Try again with: boot sr0a:/bsd.rd
> >
> > >From the boot_sparc64(8) man page:
> >
> >      To boot from a softraid(4) volume by default, boot-device must be set
> >      a disk device hosting a chunk of the softraid volume:
> >
> >            ok setenv boot-device disk0
> >
> >      and boot-file must contain the (sr) device name of the softraid volume
> >      and optionally a partition letter and/or kernel:
> >
> >            ok setenv boot-file sr0a:/bsd
> >

> Hi Stefan,
>
> Thanks!
>
> I must have missed that man page when I originally installed 6.0.
> Booting with sr0a:/bsd* did work but it took a much longer time
> that man page and try again later today after I'm done working (in
> case I muck it up again).
>
> Using a non-standard name for the bsd.rd file seems to help clarify
> things.
>
> ok printenv boot-device
> boot-device =         disk1:a /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/disk@1,0:a
>
> ok boot disk1:a /bsd.rd.61
> Executing last command: boot disk1:a /bsd.rd.61
> Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/disk@1,0:a  File and args:
> /bsd.rd.61
> OpenBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock 1.4
> ..>> OpenBSD BOOT 1.7
> Can't read disk label.
> Can't open disk label package
> Drive not ready
> Can't read disk label.
> Can't open disk label package
> sr0*
> open /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/disk@1,0:a/etc/random.seed: No such file or
> directory
> open /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/disk@1,0:a/bsd.rd.61: No such file or directory
>
> Boot:
>
> lom> reset
>
> ok boot sr0a:/bsd.rd.61
> Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/disk@1,0:a  File and args:
> sr0a:/bsd.rd.61
> OpenBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock 1.4
> ..>> OpenBSD BOOT 1.7
> Can't read disk label.
> Can't open disk label package
> Drive not ready
> Can't read disk label.
> Can't open disk label package
> sr0*
> Booting sr0:a/bsd.rd.61
> 4045496@0x1000000+1352@0x13dbab8+3251904@0x1800000+942400@0x1b19ec0
> symbols @ 0xfff42300 120 start=0x1000000
> [...]

Hi,

Booting from sr0a seemed to do the trick to get my system upgraded to
6.1.  Unfortunately, it's now panicing frequently with, "panic:
psycho0: uncorrectable DMA error" but on different commands each time.
I know this is old hardware so I'm trying to swap out hardware to see
if it's hardware related but it's been pretty stable until I attempted
to upgrade from 6.0.  Thus far, I've swapped out the DIMMs.  I think
I'm going to try installing 6.1 on a spare V120 partially to see if
I still have issues and partially to have a backup system.

Question: After upgrading to 6.1, it's still booting with "OpenBSD
BOOT 1.7" but I noticed when booting from the burned install61.iso
CD, it reports BOOT 1.9.  I tried running "installboot sd2"  but
there's no change.  Is there another method I'm overlooking to
update the boot image?

Thanks!

-Jeff