On 04/24/17 04:42, Christoph Borsbach wrote:
Hello everyone,
first off: I know that the topic of "load" has been discussed numerous times, and been a topic on undeadly [1]. I know that this number is not that important.

However:
After upgrading 3 of my systems to 6.1 (from 6.0) I noticed the load average (15min value) has gone up by roughly 1.0, both in the output of daily(8) over some days now and when checking manually with w, top, or uptime.
The systems in question differ a bit:
- amd64 MP (KVM-Guest, dmesg [2], load-example [3])
- amd64 SP (VMware Guest, dmesg and examples not handy right now)
- i386 SP (Alix, dmesg [4], load examples [5])

All were upgraded last week with bsd.rd to 6.1-RELEASE. The systems perform as well as ever and nothing was changed aside from upgrading system and packages. I'm just interested what could change the behavior. A quick check of src/sys/uvm/uvm_meter.c does not show me any changes recently.

Has anybody observed this as well and has an explanation for this?

Thanks,
Christoph

Christoph,

What has changed 6.0 - 6.1 is the entire operating system.  uvm_meter.c
may not have changed but the other sub-systems have, which effects
the way things works. It's the same with playing mp3's and you get stutter (or not) when disk I/O or other things are in play.

Any OS is a city; largely invisible to us, interactions go on that can have ripple effects in how things work. The concept of a load average
is nebulous at best.  You can spike the system averages any number of
ways so using it to determine how busy the system is at any point in
time is not great. Better to see how fast the system delivers web pages or files, or ...

Perhaps the uptime / w documentation should explicitly say that comparing load avs on different versions is a bit like comparing apples to spark plugs.

--STeve Andre'