On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 07:46:00PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> On 2017-04-20, Heiko <bd09c6fmxoq2...@intermezzo.net> wrote:
>
> > So I guess the main advantage is the license?
> > Or is clang technically (binaries, debug) better?
>
> OpenBSD does not live in a bubble.  If it did, we could still be
> using gcc 2.95.  But it turns out people, including OpenBSD developers,
> want to run third-party software.  And the ecosystem requires a
> modern compiler.
>
> You know what an amd64 package bulk build looks like?  First, we
> use our system compiler to build gcc 4.9.  Then we use gcc 4.9 to
> build clang.  And then we use clang to build interesting stuff,
> like web browsers.  Stages like a moonshot rocket.
>
> If we want to continue to be able to run third-party software, we
> need a newer compiler.

The reason for having both compilers in base is that the "transition"
is not easy.

There is a lot of stuff in the ports tree that's rather old and doesn't
compile with a newer compiler (pre-ANSI C for instance, GNU-C89 inlines,
lots of stuff that thinks C++ templates are macros, thus is happy with
totally out-of-order definitions... and so on and so forth)

Some adventurous souls are currently figuring out how to prepare stuff for
clang/clang++, while not breaking it for base gcc.

(some other souls run arm64, so they don't really have a choice in that
matter).

This is by no means finished. clang is a challenge, lld is another, arm64 is
a third one.

But there is some modicum of progress...