Gesendet: Dienstag, 25. April 2017 um 14:39 Uhr
Von: "Stefan Wollny" <ste...@wollny.de>
An: misc@openbsd.org
Betreff: Re: OpenBSD 6.1, boot can't find kernel anymore
Gesendet: Montag, 24. April 2017 um 17:27 Uhr

Von: "Todd C. Miller" <todd.mil...@courtesan.com>
An: "Nicolas Vollmar" <nvoll...@gmail.com>
Cc: misc@openbsd.org
You need to post your /var/run/dmesg.boot if you want someone to
help you debug this.

- todd

I am struck (most likely) by the same issue since this morning. I upgraded
amd64-current from ftp.hostserver.de.

The problem is a little bit more tricky as the system is fully encrypted
(key-based). The usb-key itself seems to be untampered as the system is
unlocked and the system wants to start. Yet:

--- quote ---
boot>
booting sr0a:/bsd: sr0a:/bsd: Inappropriate file type of format failed(79).
will try /bsd
Turning timeout off
boot>
--- end of quote ---

At that point the startup process stops. But I am able to enter "bsd.rd" and
the rd-kernel starts. As I am not at home it is not possible to get an internet
connection thus trying to rerun the upgrade is not possible. But with the
ramdisk system I am able to mount / and /home and thus able to copy the
previous bsd.mp to /bsd. Still no luck, just that it now says "... format
failed(0)."

Interestingly at the boot prompt I can issue a "ls". Beside the usual suspects
I see after the line for "bsd.rd" the following:
--- quote ---
stat(sr0a:/./sys): No such file or directory
--- end of quote ---

I was able to save a dmesg from the bsd.rd which is attached as txt-file.

I guess once I am back at home having a LAN connection I will be able to rerun
the upgrade process. Does someone have any idea what I might do until then?

(And Yes - I have a full backup ;-) )

Best,
STEFAN

Just as a follow-up:
I managed to boot with an older kernel still residing on the disk. For what
reason ever the bsd.mp-file was not downloaded entirely - just about 2MB. Now I
am back on the track.

Sorry for the noise.

Best,
STEFAN