I have occasionally used virtualization (Qemu) for easy testing of some OS. I
have also played around with "containers" using FreeBSD Jails and Linux LXC,
but I have never ever thought of any of this as a security measurement or
anything needed beyond testing.

When I want isolation I run a single box (or boxes) and install OpenBSD on the
bare metal. Then I run whatever services are needed on that box or boxes. I
would then deploy a network with isolated segments.

Now, everyone is telling me I should run Docker and a completely different
setup.

I read up about Docker and found this:

  "Containers are a solution to the problem of how to get software to run
reliably when moved from one computing environment to another. This could be
from a developer's laptop to a test environment, from a staging environment
into production and perhaps from a physical machine in a data center to a
virtual machine in a private or public cloud."

  "Problems arise when the supporting software environment is not identical,
says Solomon Hykes, the creator of Docker, "You're going to test using Python
2.7, and then it's going to run on Python 3 in production and something weird
will happen. Or you'll rely on the behavior of a certain version of an SSL
library and another one will be installed. You'll run your tests on Debian and
production is on Red Hat and all sorts of weird things happen."

  "And it's not just different software that can make a difference, he added,
"The network topology might be different, or the security policies and storage
might be different but the software has to run on it."

What the fuck?! Why in the world would anyone setup Debian as a testing
environment and then use Red Hat on production?! And different network topology?

Are people really that stupid?

If people really are that stupid they shouldn't be allowed near a computer in
the first place and certainly Docker or any container technology isn't going to
solve their problems!

It seems like the OpenBSD project is about the only project left nowadays where
people are still using their brains!