Obviously you don’t need to restart the daemon to pickup new aliases.

If you are using a plain file aliases map it can be reloaded atomically at
runtime using smtpctl.
If you are using a db file, it can be rebuilt using the newaliases / makemap
utility.

I can’t tell you which one to use because you still didn’t show your config,
but just for documentation purpose: you’re not doing it right.

Gilles