Hi,

multiplex'd wrote on Thu, May 11, 2017 at 04:48:36PM +0100:

> I recently stumbled across the OpenCVS webpages and I was wondering
> what the status of the project is.

It is dormant.  While it is *almost* ready for production,
actually trying to use it in production revealed instabilities
that were non-trivial to debug, and nobody did the work to get
if from "almost ready" to "reliable".  Nobody can predict how
much work that would require.  If somebody seriously tried,
it might get done in a month, or take a year, or fail completely.

It is not typical for OpenBSD projects that they go dormant
shortly before being ready for production, but this is one of the
sad cases where that did happen.

> The webpage says that it is to be released soon,
> however commits to the CVS tree seem to be few and far between.
> Is the codebase in a state where it could be ported to other
> operating systems yet?

Porting OpenBSD userland code to other operating systems (that are
reasonably similar to POSIX) is in general not a big problem if you
follow the practices established by OpenSSH and mandoc and LibreSSL,
unless that code heavily relies on special OpenBSD kernel facilities,
which certainly isn't the case here.

You can certainly port it and run it elsewhere.  But i wouldn't
expect it to be more stable than on OpenBSD, so using it to manage
important data is risky, unless you pay very close attention and
are prepared to fix non-trivial bugs yourself (and send patches).

Yours,
  Ingo