It seems all webpack does is externalize js (and other) files, which we're
already doing.

I'm looking to compress them.

Aside from which, webpack is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too complex; I'm not
looking to spend a week learning how to use some all new technology. I just
want to compress some shit.

And, after all, httpd compresses .html files; I just want to compress .js
and .css files now, too.