On 09/01/06, Shane J Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello Julien,
>
> On 09/01/2006, at 7:26 PM, Julien Bonastre wrote:
>
> > I can actually fully understand your disapproval at the idea of
> > using a torrent to distribute this file, and I can also emphasise
> > with your dislikening of trying to create some validation system
> > for the image.
>
> But I don't disapprove of using BT for this. And I also don't disapprove
> of people using and enjoying that image. In fact, I think BT is great
> and is perfect for something that is large and popular.
>
> What I disapprove of, is seeing someone flaming someone else for a
> personal opinion. Especially when that someone being called an "amateur"
> is actually an OpenBSD developer.

And Bob is not just some long-away-in-the-cvs-tree developer, but a
system administrator of most official OpenBSD web-sites,
www.openbsd.org being an example of what he hosts (if my observations
are correct).

> Downloading OpenBSD in any form via BT is not for me. Unless of course
> the .torrent file, seed and checksums were from official OpenBSD
> sources. When I compare the checksum of the download, I want the source
> checksum to come from an authority. An email from Theo for example.

Hasn't there been some research which shows that checksum collisions
are entirely possible? :)

Cheers,
Constantine.