On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 08:18:15 -0600
"Theo de Raadt" <dera...@openbsd.org> wrote:

> > For a few years I have been running nc from inetd together with pf
> > redirect rules to reach LAN servers via their public IP adresses
> > from LAN:
> >
> > # cat /etc/inetd.conf
> > 127.0.0.1:20080 stream tcp nowait proxy /usr/bin/nc nc -w 20
> > PR.IV.AT.E 80 127.0.0.1:20443 stream tcp nowait proxy /usr/bin/nc
> > nc -w 20 PR.IV.AT.E 443
> >
> > Now that proxy user is gone in 6.1, what would be appropriate
> > account to run nc under? Is nobody OK? Something else?
> >
> > Or is there a better way to accomplish this?
>
> A user of your own you create.
>
> Never reuse a user intended for another purpose.
>
> Take a glance at the ptrace manual page.

Thank you for your help.

I created dedicated user for this purpose, taking _ftp_proxy as
starting point:

_nc_proxy:*:20080:20080::0:0:NC Proxy Daemon:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin

I have read ptrace manual. But I guess I need to read much MUCH more if
I want to comprehend it :)

Best regards,
After  enlightenment - chop wood, draw water.

Marko Cupać
https://www.mimar.rs/