On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 9:20 PM, Mihai Popescu <mih...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I dual boot now between Win7 and FreeBSD
> > on I lapdog I have 5 os on it and use grub2 to boot them
>
> Prepare in the upcoming messages for something like "OpenBSD destroyed
> my harddisk" subject line message! Just a warning.

OpenBSD 6.1 release has a bug with nvme drives. The disk partitioning
program in the installer read my gpt partition incorrectly. Once I noticed
this I immediately rebooted my machine but it was too late. The partition
table was completely hosed. I suspect that after the incorrect read maybe
it thought my disk was corrupted or had no table and wrote a fresh one for
me automatically.

It actually sounds like a bug that the installer would write to your disk
if you bail out before taking any action. Even if thinks (correctly or
incorrectly) that your disk may have a corrupted partition table it should
do no writes until you actually commit to repartitioning the disk.

The nvme bug appears to be fixed in the latest OpenBSD development
snapshots.

Dual booting OpenBSD is rather easy on UEFI systems. I've got Windows 10,
FreeBSD 11, OpenBSD Current, and Arch Linux all on my laptop.

I would suggest partitioning the disk manually first using a gparted livecd
or similar. Create the partitions and set all of the correct partition
types for your OSes before hand.

I did this and then OpenBSD correctly identified my OpenBSD partition and
installed the OS on it. Has no problem booting with UEFI/GPT with all of my
other OSes present.

Backing up your disk (including your partition table) first would be
prudent of course.