What is in your httpd error log?
My guess is that WP is trying to pull some content from /wordpress which no
longer exists since you moved the docroot.

My suggestion for having your WP site available without going to the
/wordpress URL is to redeploy the WordPress files to /var/www/html instead
of /var/www/html/wordpress.
Or add a 301 redirect from / to /wordpress