From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Daniel Ouellet
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 4:08 PM
To: Wolfgang Kess
Cc: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: Re: OpenBSD for Sun Cobalt Qube3

Wolfgang Kess wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can you give me some advice how to install OpenBSD
> on a Sun Cobalt Qube 3, please?
>
> The Cube comes without cdrom or fd and no display
>
> I read about the PXE installation
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#PXE
>

> What kind of installation method do you recommend?
>

> Regards
> Wolfgang
>
> The Cube outdated Linux dmesg:

I don't think it would work at all as the Cobalt always had their own
hardware handling stuff. Plus to load it, you need a restore CD.

If you really want to play with this and see if that can even load, even

if I think it would not, you can start by making your restore CD based
on the instructions here:

http://netbsd.org/Ports/cobalt/restorecd-howto.html

I did work with Denis and Alex to test it on the Cobalt RaQ 2. So,
that's only a starts, but you are really on your own.

The thing is that for the Cobalt, after it is loaded, you rlogin in the
box to finish the configuration, but that's because the kernel is design

that way for that box. In this case it wouldn't work. Assuming you can
ever get the box to netboot and that it would actually detect the
hardware properly, then you would need to built a configuration that
would make the box in a working state for you to then access it. Usually

you can do this via the console, but again, I don't think it would work
out of the box on the console, but the only way to know if to try it.

I loaded NetBSD on plenty of Cobalt RaQ2 box

http://openbsdsupport.org/netbsd/

But that's not going to do much for you in here. The Cobalt RaQ 2 is
mips base and th4e RaQ 3 is i386 base.

Good luck however. Would be nice to have it working in in, but I don't
know.