Hi Viq,

Regarding your email
>And removing VGA and switching to serial console only didn't help in my
>case, as I did that around the time I sent my previous mail, and I'm
>writing this one just after doing a hard reboot of a hanged VM.

Can you confirm that you set the serial console, and then
set the display in Proxmox to serial 0 ?
it seemed to work for me ...
I also found that if I changed to the serial console and
I set a custom disk setup, such as

/ offset 2048 with a size of 2G
swap with a size of 4G
and any partition after that (eg / var )  the installer
would hang when copying to disk,
but if I just set defaults autopartion / or just 2
partitions the installer would not hang...

once the install was complete I set the display to serial 0
exclusively then..
ie use vga to set the boot parameters to use serial 0 as the console
then continue with the installer
shutdown,and modify proxmox guest Display to serial 0
after that I saw improved stability

I hope this helps
Tom Smyth