> I wonder how fast the NIC's will be - using this CPU and still no hardware
> acceleration.
>
>       Yeah, I'm wondering that too. It's pretty cool this platform is
>       becoming more popular to run openBSD on.
>
>       People are willing to take an unknown (right now) performance penalty
>       to run openBSD on it and with pf.

Wow.

So there is a series of self-education problems hiding behind this
conversation.

There is a completely proprietary HW-assist platform that the
vendor has as a blob.  You want us to use that?  You want a blob?
You think it will be reverse engineered?  Keep dreaming.

Or let's go back to using the blob.  What else does it do?  Thought
about that?  Nope, I think that went WHOOSH overhead.

And even if the HW was figured out.  Does it work with the way PF
manages every packet from arrival to delivery?  Or is it a switch-style
cut-through approach, without good inspection/management inflection
points.

Probably something designed for PERFORMANCE, and acting to the detriment
of any attempt to smart filter/route packets.

But still, the statement stands that this is a 'performance penalty'?

How do you figure that??

None of the other architectures have the benefit of such a blob.
They do it all in software.

When we run on amd64, we don't have such a blob.  So we operate with
a 'performance penalty' defacto?

Where do you guys keep coming from??  I mean I keep seeing people who
just don't spend an OUNCE OF EFFORT at actually learning how things
are put together, and then cheerily pat each other on the back on
mailing lists with hope and glee, and cheering on about changing a fan?

You really do deserve each other, and to large degree I think perhaps
on that platform perhaps you should stick with the blob-enhanced
vendor-locked Linux.