Hah!  I got an err M again 3 years later.  I was running multiboot
whereby you do a dd from wd0 into a file.  So I booted from an install
disk, shelled out, did fsck on the hard drive partitions then used dd
to copy back the bootsector file.  It worked.

I just did:
dd of=/dev/wd0 if=obsd.bin
and rebooted, everything came back.

--
No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX