On Wed, 27 Sep 2017, Theodore Wynnychenko wrote:
> Thank you for the information.  I removed the “noexec” flag from fstab
> and the error has disappeared.
>
> But, I am also surprised by the requirement that /tmp _not_ be mounted
> noexec for this to function correctly.  I recall reading that it was
> best to mount filesystems with the most restrictive settings possible
> for that specific filesystem, and that /tmp should be mounted with
> (essentially) nothing set (ie: nodev, nosuid, noexec).
>
> Am I incorrect or has something changed in this regard?
>
> It seems to me that, as a general rule, making /tmp noexec is a good
> thing from a security standpoint; but I admit that I don’t know enough
> about this to be sure.
>
> Anyway, I just added a line to rc.local to remount temp as noexec at the
> end of the boot so that rc would work without errors and that /tmp is
> noexec once the system is up.

To quote a co-worker: "What problem are you trying to solve?"
Or, in this case: What attack/threat vector are you trying to block?

What on your system is running with (a) ability to exec (think pledge(2)),
*and* (b) access to /tmp but *without* write access to other directories
(like $HOME) that aren't mounted noexec?

If the answer is "nothing", then marking /tmp as noexec is only annoying
you.

Philip Guenther