On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 18:16:15 +0000, Martijn van Duren wrote:
> Lets just wait until Ingo has time to look into it. He's still on
> holiday in Paris, so it might be a few days.

Hi,

I already reported this issue three months ago, along with other related
and unrelated bugs; see my second message in this thread:

https://marc.info/?t=149699519500001

As one can infer from reading any of these messages, this is far from
being the only unresolved problem with OpenBSD's sed, so I doubt it is
worth asking anyone to look particularly into this one more deeply; in
fact, the whole substitute() function is flawed in multiple other
aspects and, together with the rest of the program, which is likewise
either plain wrong or embarrassingly suboptimal in almost every possible
way, disserves no more than to be thrown away and rewritten.  Because of
my personal need for a correct and elegant implementation, this is
exactly what I did in my local tree.  Nevertheless, I have not been too
impatient to share my code here as no one seemed to care when I
mentioned it to tech@, but perhaps this freshly posted report could make
someone interested after all.  (If so, however, I would still need to
take the time to write a fully fledged supporting justification before
submitting it, because, as I reckon, one does not simply reimplement sed
without explaining in depth why and how this had to be done.)

Regards,

kshe