On 10/29/17 17:51, Kurtis wrote:
I am configuring my home gateway. Being enthusiastically new to
OpenBSD, I followed the directions here along with other various
bits of documentation along the way:

https://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/example1.html

Unfortunately, I can't seem to understand how to bring my WiFi
network "up" and broadcast my SSID. Here is output from
`ifconfig`:

iwm0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         lladdr f0:42:1c:80:df:90
         index 4 priority 4 llprio 3
         groups: wlan
         media: IEEE802.11 autoselect
         status: no network
         ieee80211: nwid <censored ssid> chan 1 wpakey <censored key> wpaprotos
wpa2
                  wpaakms psk wpaciphers ccmp wpagroupcipher ccmp

Running these commands don't seem to do anything:

# ifconfig iwm0 up
# ifconfig iwm0 up scan

Here is my `/etc/hostname.iwm0` file:

# cat /etc/hostname.iwm0
media autoselect mode 11n mediaopt hostap chan 1
nwid <censored ssid>
wpakey <censored key/password>
inet 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

dmesg output:

# dmesg | grep "iwm0"
iwm0 at pci4 dev 0 function 0 "Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260" rev 0xc3, msi
iwm0: hw rev 0x140, fw ver 16.242414.0, address f0:42:1c:80:df:90

I'd appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction on how to better
debug, learn, or otherwise get this working.

Hi Kurtis,

iwm(4) doesn't support hostap mode.  You might want to check out a compatible
ath(4) or athn(4) card.

+--+
Carlos