On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 8:37 AM, Janne Johansson <icepic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >:
>
>> I was finally able to bring our OpenBSD based Network Management System up
>> to the current OS release (it was a couple of years out of date) but this
>> process broke access to a large number of older HP switches on our
>> network.
>>

>> But this breaks the use of SSH client leaving little recourse other
>> than perhaps telnet with NO encryption instead of somewhat weak
>> encryption,
>> as the "server" is outside of our control. (I already checked that we have
>> the latest firmware, less than one year old.)
>>
>> Is this an oversight or is there a particular logic to intentionally
>> breaking compatibility with a not-insignificant base of installed
>> equipment?
>>

> If your vendor, even with a <1y firmware still only can handle old and
> deprecated
> keysizes, you should not ask for everyone elses sshs to become worse, but
> rather

push the vendor to get up to speed, and since that will not work, you will
> have to
> resort to building older ssh and use that instead of the safer one that
> comes with
> the modern OS you upgraded to.
>
> Same goes for browsers and https, the bad parts of SSL/TLS gets weeded out
> in browsers
> so that the majority of users are safe, not kept to cater to the lowest
> common denominator
> of the laziest vendor still alive.
>
> You should be asking HP how come they can't keep the free sshd code
> updated,
> if security is your prime concern, not ask openbsd to lower everyone elses
> security.

I am not asking to lower anyone else's security or for SSH to "become
worse", I appreciate the default behavior being what it is. I am asking
about a way to have an explicit compatibility mode -- even if we are
successful at lobbying a behemoth like HP for an update, it will take time,
probably a lot of time. Nor is a chronically underfunded public school
district in the position to outright replace >$500K worth of switches that
do their primary duties without fail. Not having some kind of compatibility
mode, leaves me with choice of bad and worse. Typical K-12 management
neither understands tech nor can afford to divert funds to "frivolous"
upgrades. Their inevitable response is either "don't upgrade" or "choose
another product", a product that will not have even the basic security
level OpenBSD had say three years ago.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachment to it is
intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may