Hello all,

Is this the sane/correct thing to do?  What is the impact?

Running: OpenBSD6.2-release

Goal: To run a secure and functional web server.
(the server is currently up and running and used by
the public at large)

Previously: Only installing needed packages as binaries via pkg_add.

Now: The thought is that the third-party packages being used
by the server should be kept up to date.

Ports tree via:
$ cvs -qd anon...@anoncvs4.usa.openbsd.org:/cvs\
  checkout -rOPENBSD_6_2 -P ports

Problem: Some out of date packages found via 'out-of-date' e.g.:
$ /usr/ports/infrastructure/bin/out-of-date
Outdated ports:

databases/mariadb,-main        # 10.0.32v1 -> 10.0.33v1
databases/mariadb,-server      # 10.0.32v1 -> 10.0.33v1

complain when running 'make update' (in this case mariadb). e.g.:
Fatal: /usr/ports/pobj must be on a wxallowed filesystem\
  (in lang/python/2.7)

To solve this issue, this is what I've done:

$cat /etc/mk.conf
SUDO=/usr/bin/doas
WRKOBJDIR=/usr/local/ports/pobj <---

(since /usr/local is on a wxallowed filesystem)

Is this a rational solution to the problem? I'm somewhat regretting
going this route as, unlike with pkg_add, building some ports from the
tree pulls in more dependencies than via pkg_add (I am assuming that
these are build dependencies and not run-time dependencies; please
correct me if this is not so)

Is it not worth it to update ports in this way; meaning, is it better
to simply wait for OpenBSD6.3 and stick with binary packages only
(as recommended on the openbsd.org site)?

Also, is there an easy/sane way to remove packages that were only
required for building once the ports have been updated?

I'm loathe to do something like build the packages on another system
and then install them as binary packages on the server; this seems like
a lot of effort and, at least for myself might be prone
to introduce other issues.

Thank-you in advance; advice is appreciated.

--
Jeff <j...@grayspace.ca>