On 2017-11-07, Scott Bennett <sbennett1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/7/2017 8:46 AM, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> On 2017-11-07, Scott Bennett <sbennett1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I want to be able to enforce that all queries get funneled to OpenDNS. I
>>> don't want someone to be able to outsmart the filter, at least at this
>>> one level. Redirection lets me configure the laptops to have their own
>>> hard-coded configurations when out and about, and then when I come home
>>> they transparently query the gateway with no changes. Blocking would
>>> probably result in me trying to load a page when I get home, failing,
>>> then remembering to change the DNS config.
>>
>> If you redirect, you may then end up funneling requests which are meant
>> for an *authoritative* DNS server, towards a recursive resolver instead.
>>
>> Can you just hardcode the laptops to OpenDNS's resolver addresses, and
>> just permit those through PF? Then, if wanted, you could redirect just
>> those addresses to your local unbound resolver, and block other port 53.
>
> That could be a solution. In what situations would there be a request
> for an authoritative DNS server? There's not much on my network (at the
> moment) that does anything more than general internet browsing.

Anything doing lookups directly, including tools like dig/nslookup, or
machines running their own DNS resolver.

With this change I'd be worried about forgetting that it's in place and
then later getting very confused when trying to debug a DNS issue with
some domain using the usual tools. At least if the queries are outright
blocked, it's more obvious.