On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Mike Coddington <m...@coddington.us>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 10:01:09AM -0600, Daniel Boyd wrote:
> > I've installed OpenBSD/macppc twice on my G4 Cube now and it seems to
> > be working fine until I go to untar src.tar.gz at which point it throws
> > some abort trap errors and crashes.  If I reboot, I get a bunch of
> > abort traps during the boot process followed by several:
> >
> > init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for pot /dev/ttyC3: ...
> >
> > What do you guys think this is...?  Hard drive failure...?
>
> Out of curiosity, does the same thing happen if you extract the tar with
> the pax(1) program? That'll at least let you know if it's tar causing
> the problem or not.

tar _is_ pax:
: corwin; ls -li /bin/tar /bin/pax
52015 -r-xr-xr-x  3 root  bin  433472 Nov  1 11:15 /bin/pax
52015 -r-xr-xr-x  3 root  bin  433472 Nov  1 11:15 /bin/tar
: corwin;

Fundamentally, unless a userspace process is poking at devices or similar,
it should be unable to panic the kernel.  An abort trap in the kernel is
either a kernel bug or a hardware bug.  IIRC there's some pmap bug on
macppc that no one has managed to track down which causes crashes on some
machines, but not others.  I've never hit it on the Macbook I use for
builds, but the ports build boxes, whatever model they are, seem to hit it
periodically...

Philip Guenther