On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 17:58:48 +0000 (UTC)

> Of course, it is senseless to reorder kernel more than one time when
> the computer is up. But for the above reason, it is obviously
> not necessary to do it after any boot. You can do it manually
> from time to time, when the computer is up and you do not need it.

I disagree, in fact rebooting servers after say an unexpected
behaviour or to get a reorder is a good thing. If you do it manually
you are unlikely to do it when you should. I still don't see why
exactly.

> The question that remains, is, if it is not a problem to do it
> at any reboot. It depends on your hardware and on how you
> use OpenBSD.

Even on an 366mhz i386 it does not take very long??

> I like silent, slow computers. reorder_kernel is
> disabled when /usr/share is on a nfs mounted, namely, for a diskless
> machine, but there are other situations, for example when you
> boot from slow flash memory attached to USB and want it also
> readonly.

Fair enough I get that but personally I would dump the 10,000 write
flash memory.

> I mean something else: the complexity of the booting process.
> And of course I want to have the computer booted as soon as
> possible, and the slow reorder_kernel and library reordering
> is now part of the booting process.

Actually it is a separate forked process ran at the very end, so not
really.

> > The script is in /usr/libexec if you must but to quote Theo to me a
> > number of times. "You own the pieces"
>
> If I disable KARL changing the file with the checksum, running
> /usr/libexec/reorder_kernel.sh has no effect. It remains to
> comment out its call in rc. The reordering of libraries can be
> disabled, but the definition of the procedure is embedded in rc
> and cannot be run manually.

Of course it can, check out the log maybe. I had to get a fresh tarball
from base62.tgz one time when I screwed it up though.