On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 11:42:57AM +0100, Bachman Kharazmi wrote:
> > It is, but only provided that the user actually have an account. I use
> > quite a few virtual accounts, and they go under /var/mail/$USERNAME.
> What's the diffrence between a virtual user that you mention and a
> normal user which shell is set to nologin. Still there can be a
> ~/.forward and the mail stored in ~ I think.
>
> So how do you make your virtual users mail go to /var/mail/$USER, by
> simply setting home directory (useradd -d) when creating the user?

I use Postfix' virtual(8) delivery agent, which can be told to deliver
mail pretty much anywhere. Or, as the case may be, under /var/mail.

It has the added advantage of easily being able to configure the mailing
daemon to send spam messages to the spam folder, by mapping joachim+spam
to /var/mail/joachim/.Spam/.

Of course, such a setup involves a couple of tables, but since the
number of users is small, the whole process is easily scriptable, and
table lookups are fast, this works out just fine.

                Joachim