Hi Andreas,

Andreas Thulin wrote on Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 02:45:21PM +0000:

> Again, an ignorant question (as usual):
> How might I do something similar to
> # dd if=/dev/one of=/dev/sd0 bs=1M

  jot -cs '' 512 255 255

writes 512 bytes with all bits set.  Feel free to use larger numbers
than 512.  For large numbers, this is certainly slower than dd
because it uses an explicit loop with some conditionals and one
printf(3) for each byte.

  perl -e 'print "\xff"x512'

may be faster.  If i needed maximum speed, i'd probably write a two-line
C program.

  while true; do echo -n "\0377"; done

works for the purist, but will hardly be fast.

Btw., you are asking for "Hello World!", kind of.
It may be hard to find a program that can't solve your task...  ;)

> as a complement to the usual and well-described
> # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd0 bs=1M
> followed by
> # dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sd0 bs=1M
> in order to achieve paranoid disk-wiping?

I have no idea whether or not such paranoia makes sense.
Maybe, maybe not.

Yours,
  Ingo