Bryan Linton writes:
> Hello misc@
>
> I'm currently looking to purchase a scanner that works well with OpenBSD.
>
> I'm aware of the list provided at:
>
> 0211038.pdf Desktop Documents Downloads Library Movies Music Pictures
> Programs Videos s-nail.corehttp://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html
>
> but I recently purchased (and returned) a scanner that was listed as being
> fully supported on that list because no matter what I did, I couldn't
> get it to work right with xsane or scanimage.  Though I purchased it used,
> so it's possible it may have simply been broken from the get-go.
>
> Does anyone happen to know of a scanner that is *known* to work well
> with OpenBSD?

This is a very silly question. Most modern all-in-one office grade
devices can scan directly onto an umass device or into the e-mail. You
don't need OpenBSD to scan. The scan quality fall within technical
requirements you have.

That being said I have three scanners currently attached to my OpenBSD
desktops at work and at home and all of them work perfectly. They are
older devices.

1. Epson Perfection 1650 (plug and play)

2 .Epson Perfection 1670 (use cabextract to get a firmware needed to
scan from Windows installation disk)

3. Epson all-in-one WorkForce 845 (plug and play but printer is
paperweight but good enough for me to print from my smart phone with
proprietary driver)

I see people complaining about CanoScan LiDE line of Canon "scanners".
Those scanners come without power supply and they are supposed to draw
the electricity from USB cable. They cost about $10 new. Well you get
what you paid for.

Now in whole honestly Epson started selling $100-$200 flatbed scanners
here in U.S. which do require epkowa binary blob driver so they are
Linux only. Those scanners are no better than what I have. Now real good
scanners like Perfection V850 Pro ($1000) are fully supported but you
probably don't need that unless you are digitizing massive amount of
old photos and negatives.

Cheers,
Predrag