> Tips:
>
> - run it from the command line (chroot /var/www /cgi-bin/whatever), watch
> for error messages in the output
>
> - run it under ktrace (if this was running from slowcgi, something like
> "ktrace -i -p `pgrep slowcgi`", then try to call it, then ktrace -C),
> you may find some clue in the output from kdump

Heh. I was poking around with ktrace last night, though you have a much more
elegant way of using it.
I have run my program in the chroot from the command line like you suggest - it
works fine there.
In the cgi program, it blows up after a bunch of mprotect and kbind calls.  I
do see a .core file mentioned but i cannot find it, so the cgi part must be
swallowing it.
I made a simple little c++ program that does the popen like i am and it works
fine there.  It must be something in the cgi environment - permissions,
perhaps?  Or are there some other environmental limitations?