Hi all,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction here. I cannot for the life of me get smptd to start. It always fails when running # rcctl restart smtpd, or when stopping and starting separately.

I've been looking to move to OpenSMTP for my mail needs, so I can get my family and I's mail out of the cloud (yuck). The end goal is to set up a basic IMAP mail server enabling my family to easily connect from their various devices. I've been attempting to follow this guide on the OpenSMTP website: https://www.opensmtpd.org/faq/example1.html

I have of course RTFM, and I have also tried guides such as this, to no avail:

https://frozen-geek.net/openbsd-email-server-1/

http://technoquarter.blogspot.ca/
<https://frozen-geek.net/openbsd-email-server-1/>

I feel as if I'm missing something obvious here.

My config/steps taken are listed below. I have tried this on both i386 bare metal and on amd64 VM using vmm. Please let me know if a dmesg would be helpful. The logs show nothing as to why its failing. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jordan Geoghegan

*My smtpd.conf is as follows (scrubbed of personal info):*

# pki setup
pki mail.mydomain.ca certificate "/etc/ssl/mail.mydomain.ca.crt"
pki mail.mydomain.ca key "/etc/ssl/private/mail.mydomain.ca.key"

# tables setup
table aliases file:/etc/mail/aliases
table domains file:/etc/mail/domains
table passwd passwd:/etc/mail/passwd
table virtuals file:/etc/mail/virtuals

# listen ports setup
listen on lo0
listen on egress port 25 tls pki mail.mydomain.ca
listen on egress port 587 tls-require pki mail.mydomain.ca auth <passwd>

# allow local messages
accept from local for local alias <aliases> deliver to lmtp "/var/dovecot/lmtp"
rcpt-to
# allow virtual domains
accept from any for domain <domains> virtual <virtuals> deliver to lmtp
"/var/dovecot/lmtp" rcpt-to
# allow outgoing mails
accept from local for any relay

*SSL keys and self signed certs were generated as per man smtpd.conf(5):*

# openssl genrsa -out /etc/ssl/private/mail.mydomain.ca key 4096
           # openssl req -new -x509 -key /etc/ssl/private/mail.mydomain.ca.key \
                   -out /etc/ssl/mail.mydomain.ca.crt -days 365
           # chmod 600 /etc/ssl/mail.mydomain.ca.crt
           # chmod 600 /etc/ssl/private/mail.mydomain.ca.key

*I then fill out my /etc/mail/aliases*

vmail:    /dev/null
root:     jordan
jordan:   jor...@mydomain.ca

*and fill /etc/mail/domains with my domain info*

mydomain.ca
mydomain.com
myotherdomain.ca
myotherdomain.com

(there's no change if just one or multiple domains listed)

*And the /etc/mail/passwd info is generated using $ smtpctl encrypt ****(am I supposed to be using my actual system login password here? I did just to be sure)***
jor...@mydomain.ca:$2b$...encrypted...password...::::::

*My /etc/mail/virtuals looks like: *
ab...@mydomain.ca         jor...@mydomain.ca
postmas...@mydomain.ca    jor...@mydomain.ca
webmas...@mydomain.ca     jor...@mydomain.ca
jor...@mydomain.ca        vmail

*Dovecot starts without complaint with this config:*

passdb {
    args = scheme=blf-crypt /etc/mail/passwd
    driver = passwd-file
}

userdb {
    args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/vmail/%d/%n
    driver = static
}
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imap {