On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 08:12:11PM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> I think you have interpreted the situation backwards.
>
> The wxallowed flag is not on other filesystems.  Therefore, binaries
> on those filesystems which misbehave will fail.
>
> There are about 15 programs which need fixing, and the wxallowed could
> become a piece of history.
>
> Unfortunately some of those 15 are very large ecosystems, and their
> upstreams are not yet concerned about this problem.
>
> >Is this a really good idea to keep wxallowed flag on /usr/local by
> >default? Is this so scary that many poop software will break (this is
> >not a big loss at all)? After all not enabling this flag by default is
> >the right thing to do, reliance on W|X should go to /dev/null
> >
> >The only problem I see after removing this flag and removing python
> >is that it also removes packages which, for example, have
> >devel/desktop-file-utils in run dependencies, but they work without it.

Hm, grepping Makefiles finds 51 files which contain USE_WXNEEDED.

As I understand many of these ports are clean (for example, python),
but this variable is used for their broken extensions.

So, I have to identify which ones are exactly broken (Stuart Henderson
said this is the trickier part), contact their developers (if the
software is not abandoned) and send patches, right?
databases/mongodb/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =       Yes
devel/darcs/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =             Yes
devel/mono-addins/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =               Yes
devel/qt-creator/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =                Yes
devel/spidermonkey52/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =            Yes
devel/valgrind/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =          Yes
devel/zeal/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =      Yes
editors/ghostwriter/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =     Yes
editors/libreoffice/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=      Yes
emulators/desmume/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =       Yes
emulators/dynamips/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=               Yes
emulators/higan/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED = Yes
emulators/mednafen/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =      Yes
emulators/qemu/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=   Yes
emulators/sdlmame/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=                Yes
games/urbanterror/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =       Yes
lang/gforth/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =             Yes
lang/ghc/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =                special
lang/libv8/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=       Yes
lang/mono/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=        Yes
lang/node/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =               Yes
lang/obc/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =        Yes
lang/python/Makefile.inc:USE_WXNEEDED = Yes
lang/racket-minimal/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =             Yes
lang/ruby/Makefile.inc:USE_WXNEEDED ?=          Yes
lang/sbcl/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =               Yes
net/qsyncthingtray/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =      Yes
textproc/wkhtmltopdf/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =            Yes
www/chromium/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=             Yes
www/iridium/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=              Yes
www/phantomjs/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =           Yes
www/ruby-capybara-webkit/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =        Yes
www/webkit/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =              Yes
www/webkitgtk4/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =          Yes
x11/cool-retro-term/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =     Yes
x11/qt4/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =         Yes # QtWebKit
x11/smtube/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =              Yes
devel/jdk/1.8/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=    Yes
emulators/mupen64plus/ui-console/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =                Yes
games/0ad/base/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =          Yes
x11/gnome/devhelp/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=                Yes
x11/gnome/gjs/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=            Yes
x11/gnome/libgepub/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=               Yes
x11/gnome/shell/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=          Yes
x11/mate/atril/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=           Yes
x11/mate/engrampa/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=                Yes
x11/mate/eom/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=             Yes
x11/mate/pluma/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED=           Yes
x11/qt5/qtdeclarative/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =           Yes
x11/qt5/qtwebengine/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =             Yes
x11/qt5/qtwebkit/Makefile:USE_WXNEEDED =                Yes