Hi,

I have a home network that is segmented into 3 different zones using a NIC with
4 ports sitting on an OpenBSD firewall/dhcp server. One port is connected to
the Internet (ISP router) and each of the three others has a D-Link DGS-1005D
switch connected to each.

So..

LAN1 = 192.168.1.0
LAN2 = 192.168.2.0
LAN3 = 192.168.3.0

Learning more about networking I wanted to test a SYN flood so I set up a
couple of boxes on LAN1 and LAN3 to flood a box on LAN2. I used "hping3" with
the "S" and "flood" options.

Running a regular ping in a terminal I could see how the response time
decreased and eventually the box began to loose packages.

However after a while it seemed like the entire internal network went down.

No box on any LAN could get an IP address from the DHCP server on the OpenBSD
box.

I eventually rebooted the OpenBSD box, but that didn't immediately help, and
only after powering down the switches and powering the switches on again,
everything worked again.

I have been looking through the PF documentation to see if PF somehow blocks
SYN flooding, but I am not using synproxy on any rules.

What could cause such a "melt down" of the entire network because of a SYN
flood to a box?

I suspect that the D-Link switches are pretty bad and maybe are the cause of
the problem?

I eventually will try again to see if I can determine what's causing the "melt
down", but I want to know if anyone perhaps has experienced similar results
during some testing?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Martin