This is mostly extra notes to my recent separate threads about how
to UEFI-boot OpenBSD in various ways. The following OS-unrelated
factors added ambiguity when trying to figure how to UEFI-boot.

I started with a particular machine from 2013. Whatever I tried, it
would just not boot off a PCIe NVME SSD: I'd install the OS on the SSD,
and the installation process worked out perfectly, but it wouldn't
boot, neither in UEFI/GPT nor in legacy/MBR/BIOS mode.

I tried with using an USB memory stick with the OpenBSD boot loader on
it as trampoline for the boot process. Interestingly, the MBR boot
loader *would identify* the SSD *but could not read* from it.

The UEFI boot loader (BOOTX64.EFI) would both identify the SSD and
could read on it!

Hence we're seeing a system with weird one-quarter-support. How
unintuitive is that.

While figuring my way through that problem, I stumbled on mentionings
that at least two PCIe NVME SSD models apparently include legacy ROM:s
to provide AMD64 (and I think ARM64) BIOS legacy disk IO on a system
where the BIOS otherwise would have no PCIe NVME SSD support at all.
Primary models with legacy are Samsung 950 Pro [1] and Intel 750. This
could be useful for getting a higher-speed SSD on an older computer
for someone.

Samsung ditched the legacy ROM thing quickly though so Samsung 960 and
other newer SSD:s will not have it [2].

The drive I got going by the UEFI USB boot disk trick, is a Samsung
960.

For older machines, there may also be ways to patch UEFI firmware to
support PCIe NVME SSD:s [3], didn't try though.

Tinker

[1]
https://web.archive.org/web/20161027233731/http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/downloads/document/Samsung_SSD_950_PRO_White_paper.pdf

[2]