Hi there,

Im kinda confused right now about it. I have a OpenBSD 6.1 running a simple httpd.conf with a definition for a http server and a https server so far so good, I figured I need to have a http server so acme-client can talk to let's encrypt an issue certificate requests also no big problem but now it get confusing. I tried to automate the certificate renew and as far as I understand the docs httpd.conf get evaluated to to bottom with first matching rule found. So this would mean a definition like:

$ext_addr ="*" # its just one nic with one external ip on that vm

server "mydomain.tld" {
        listen on $ext_addr port http

        location "/.well-known/acme-challenge/*" {
            root "/acme"
            root strip 2
            directory no auto index
        }

        block return 302 "https://$HTTP_HOST$REQUEST_URI";
}

should enable acme-client to renew certificates but redirect other traffic to the https server. Well it doesn't ! So I need to comment out the block request to renew the certificate. That's a thing I could live with and just invent some script that loads a different conf file just for the renew and when the certificate is obtained just load the normal httpd.conf and restart httpd. I was playing arround and stumbled over the fact that acme-client suddenly can renew certificates even without running httpd in the first place o.O Thats just wrong since there isn't support that does dns-01 challenges right? I stoped httpd to checked the site wasn't reachable and did a

acme-client -vvF mydomain.tld

it gave me a new certificate from let's encrypt ...

anyway can someone who has the insight please tell me whats goin on here and maybe post a config example that works for a basic https redirect? Or is it really the case that I need to load a config that hasn't a blok return statement in the http server definition?

One last note, I did a syspatch today and don't know if this changed something in the behaviour of the components involved.

regards

--
Markus Rosjat    fon: +49 351 8107223    mail: ros...@ghweb.de

G+H Webservice GbR Gorzolla, Herrmann
Königsbrücker Str. 70, 01099 Dresden

http://www.ghweb.de
fon: +49 351 8107220   fax: +49 351 8107227

Bitte prüfen Sie, ob diese Mail wirklich ausgedruckt werden muss! Before you print it, think about your responsibility and commitment to the ENVIRONMENT