The short answer is:  The X server has hard-coded defaults, which
can be overridden by configuration files, which are processed in a
specific order - if they are present.  Please see xorg.conf(5) for
details.  For customizing the settings, you have to *create* an
/etc/xorg.conf file.

70-synaptics.conf is no "example". In 6.2, its "Driver" setting
matches the programmatic default for touchpads (synaptics). In 6.3,
the driver setting is gone, and the program default is different
(it's ws).