Greets

> You'd have to manually tune it. There's no way for altq/pf to know what
> speed "you get" on a given day/week/moment, it only knows about the
> physcial speed (or whatever you set manually) for the interface.

Absolutely correct regarding manual tuning. One of my clients is at the end of
the line regarding attenuation (114) and  signal over noise of 2, both
extremely poor readings. Good is in the range of 40 and 15 respectively. Talk
to you ISP and they should be able to give you those line condition readings
without issue. I haven't found one that doesn't.

The ADSL service package my client has is 2.5Mb D/L and 1 U/L, however, due to
the poor line conditions the slightest issue anywhere in the network circuit
causes voice dropoff among other things. They have G729 on the voip system
which has reduced the traffic by a huge amount 80kb down to 8kb per
conversation. Tuning the queue for all of these conditions of course is best
guess and go from there, the next step for us is to drop the service package
down to 1.5Mb and 640kb allowing a much lower stress level on the line making
it much less prone to breakdown as there is no way to change the attenuation
and signall over noise ratios.

Get to know your ISP and I sure you'll find they can be helpful. ( be nice to
them even if they are clearly inexperienced ).
Do the math on the amount of bandwidth you actually need for your phone(s)
Do the math on how much bandwidth your remaining services require ( or can at
least get by on)
Make an educated guess on the initial settings and go from there.
Try to make sure you get those line readings as you can waste a LOT of time
tracking down queue gremlins that don't exist ;-)

Hope this helps

Bob