So, does it work only with PKG_TMPDIR set?

# PKG_TMPDIR=/tmp/foo pkg_add -r -vvv curl
(-r is used to replace old package)

Could it be your harddrive or filesystem problem?
Try to fsck partition where pkg_add stores packages.

If you are able to download file by wget, you can install it using pkg_add
by providing path to this file.

ps: http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html