On Wednesday, February 1, "Badbanchi Hossein" wrote:
> > Basing security policies on something as easily changable as a MAC
> > address (and as public as a MAC address) is stupid.
>
> Thanks for the complement.

You're welcome.  Honestly though, what would you call it?

> Although this might seem (or actually BE) stupid in environments
> publicly accessible, but for a closed environment like our company
> LAN, this is good enough.  Here I don't want to protect the LAN
> against the extreme hacker, but against our legitimate guests who come
> to visit someone or take part in some meeting, and simply open their
> laptop and connect the NIC to the nearest free LAN socket.  This
> could be because they want to download the latest PowerPoint file for
> their presentation!
>
> Our policy is to provide Internet Access to our guests (of course
> while logging every activity), but we need to first distinguish them
> in order to provide them with at least an initial AUP (Acceptable
> User Policy), or even scan the machine for vulnerabilities and the
> like.

And who's to say they actually read the AUP?  Personally I'd do it
slightly different.

1) Mac-lock the switch ports of the machines that are supposed to be
connected permanently.  (Yes, not perfect, but what can you do...)

2) vlan the ports that are plug-and-play to their own vlan

3) Use authpf to authenticate them, at least then you can ply them
with your AUP before they accept (type a password).  It will be a
lot less implied, but an active action taken on their part.

> > Rethink your approach.
>
> Other approaches like 802.1x is also known to me. But our need is more
> modest .

Have a look at authpf.  It's not the end-all be-all, but it does solve a
lot of problems in a very elegant fashion.

--Toby.