----- On Apr 30, 2018, at 5:46 PM, Ken MacKenzie k...@mack-z.com wrote:

> Is there a recommended best practice when setting up an environment with
> python
> virtualenv with regards to wxallowed.

I use a specific directory in /usr/local which is very close to your option 2:

# mkdir -p /usr/local/virtualenvs/{your users here}
$ virtualenv /usr/local/virtualenvs/my_user/new_project
$ source /usr/local/virtualenvs/my_user/new_project/bin/activate

virtualenvwwrapper also helps in this case

--
Marco Bonetti