Thank you so much Erling! With your help, I was able to comment out my
existing volumes with the "ed" editor (thanks for showing me that, what a
strange editor), and rescue everything with rsync from my OS drive (mostly
/etc and /root), then do a fresh install of 6.3 (with my raid drives
unplugged as Stuart Henderson suggested), and my softraid volumes are now
back online. I opted to do the fresh install because I already know how to
upgrade, and don't have the time for that process. My machine was a 5.0
originally, and I had upgraded it to 5.4 over the years, but when I got
married, somehow I lost time for regular upgrades, and instead have only
been doing the errata patches. I learned an important lesson when booting
with a "Live USB" drive, I never would have thought it would touch my local
system, but I guess when I think about it it makes sense. Now the only
issue is that my Samba shares are not all working, it seems there is a big
difference in Samba 4 from 3, regarding the use of guest accounts. I'll
figure it out soon. I really appreciate all the replies though, I probably
couldn't have restored my system without everyone's help! Thanks again.