Hi,

Stefan Sperling wrote:
The keyword 'nwkey' indicates you are using WEP. Is that correct?

Yes!

A commit of mine accidentally broke WEP support back in August 2017.
This was eventually fixed in -current 2 weeks ago. Nobody noticed
that WEP was broken for 8 months...

I did notice that actually, but I upgraded two computers on a different timeframe. The first one being old, i supposed had different issues, I thought it had an issue with the PCMCIA adapter.. so i was unable to do further test When I updated a more modern ThinkPad which was known good and which has both wired and wireless integrated networks I was able to track it down.

Is a backport possible to "stable"?

I'd suggest switching this wifi network to WPA2, or just leaving it open
since WEP is no better than leaving your wifi open in the first place.

Well, almost, but at least people don't accidentally hack, but must do that on purpose..

We provide WEP only for interop with legacy networks outside your control.

That's the case... certain devices do not support WPA2 on that network so it stays such and data is encrypted on a higher level (e.g. ssh connections)

Riccardo