The "viewport" meta tag significantly improves readability and
usability on my phone when I add it to http://man.openbsd.org pages:

[meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0"]

It was suggested to me by a Microsoft Edge engineer as a fix for
mobile-unfriendly web sites. It was apparently invented by Apple
however, and is also recommended by Mozilla.

Mozilla and Safari docs:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Mobile/Viewport_meta_tag
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/SafariWebContent/UsingtheViewport/UsingtheViewport.html

My test results:
- Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 Mobile (phone): significant improvement

- Chrome on OpenBSD-current: unaffected
- Firefox on OpenBSD-current: unaffected
- Lynx on OpenBSD-current: unaffected
- Microsoft Edge on Windows 10: unaffected
- Internet Explorer on Windows 10: unaffected

My test site (with before/after html and screenshots):
https://viewports.github.io/

I hope and suspect that this will improve things for other small
screen devices too -- such as Android and iOS phones -- but I am
unable to test that.