On Wed, 2018-06-06 at 12:10 +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2018-06-05, John Long <codeb...@inbox.lv> wrote:
> > I have a Lenovo m710q foobar2000 appliance under Windows 10. I like
> > the
> > box, it's about 1 1/2 as wide as a Lemote Fuloong Mini and about as
> > deep and tall, but has slots for two, 2.5 inch drives. I thought
> > about
> > buying another one to use as a minidlna host under OpenBSD.
> >
> > Does anybody on the list have any experience with OpenBSD and
> > minidlna
> > on this box?
>
> Nothing in dmesglog, it would be nice if you could boot the one you
> have
> from a USB stick and email in to dmesg@.

I'm up to my ass in alligators with work right now so it will take a
few days. How do I capture the output? It's been a while since I
installed OpenBSD... maybe it gives me an option to mail directly from
the installer? I have only a vague memory about it.

> Seems it may have a real serial port, if so that's a nice thing to
> have on such a small machine.

It appears to yes, but since I'm running Windows on it I haven't used
it.

They're not cheap and the hardware is just kinda meh. The one I bought
has 4G of RAM, a 256G SSD (not sure which brand, it's buried in the
chassis and hard to get to) and cost 500 Euros. The one I want for the
minidlna server will cost about 600 Euros and have 8G of RAM.

The box I have has the i3-7100T, it's a two-banger with hyperthreading,
good single CPU clocks, 3.4GHz. For the same price you can get a i5-
7400T which is a four banger but no hyperthreading, and significantly
slower clocks, 2.4 GHz. Not sure what the benefit to that would be.

The disk tray is a flimsy, loose-fitting piece of plastic, not very
reassuring. It feels like if you swap disks and out of there a dozen
times you're going to be buying a new tray. I'm sure there is better
hardware around, maybe even for the same price, but these boxes are
readily available from my local shop in a few different variations, and
have a nice form factor and some nice features. So far I'm satisfied
with it. They advertised mine with a DVD drive, and it doesn't have one
of course...when I complained they sent me a USB DVD drive.

The enclosure is substantial aluminum, quite sturdy. Feels like you
could stack them in a big pile of other gear and nothing would go
wrong. And it comes with a separate aluminum tray case with rubber feet
that wraps around the bottom and goes up and over both sides (the
computer slides into it) and which has a slot for a separate aluminum
holder (also included) that holds the power brick. It's a nice package
if you don't open it up and look inside.

Not sure about the cooling. The fan is tiny.

> > Or any experience in general running minidlna on OpenBSD?
>
> I used to run this on OpenBSD, it worked reasonably well with the
> devices I tried accessing it from. I stopped running it after I moved
> my
> fileshares to a separate NAS box.
>
> We don't have inotify and minidlna doesn't have kqueue support for
> file
> monitoring; run it with the -r flag to do an incremental rescan if
> you
> add files.

Thanks, this is good news. I would prefer not to have code doing things
"for" me. I tend to rip a lot of discs in big batches and then move a
lot of files at once. It would be ideal to update manually.

> I had some problems with the multicast bits after the routing
> table change to ART, but others couldn't replicate this, maybe it was
> because the machine I was running it on was multihomed.

I am clueless about networking but I don't anticipate any issues. I
have the Windows box roped-off from my LAN so I can't move files around
easily, can't use rsync or any convenient *NIX tools etc. It will be
very convenient to have OpenBSD running dlna.

Thanks,

/jl