Thuban writes:
> Default vi (nvi) in OpenBSD doesn't handle correctly most of UTF-8
> sings such as "é", "à" or so. One need to install nvi package to do so.
> Is it planned to replace the vi binary in the future?
> Is there any reason I can't think to keep this vi version?

nvi2's main deficiency is that it cannot handle invalid characters at
all: they interfere with display, searching, and writing. This is a big
change from base nvi which merely visually escapes non-ASCII characters.
In the past nvi2 has also had some pretty severe bugs including frequent
crashes and irreversible file truncation on :w which makes me wary of
bringing it in.

UTF-8 in OpenBSD's base vi is definitely a desired feature. The primary
blocker to implementing it is simply that nobody has done the work.