On 08/12/18 01:42, Stuart Henderson wrote:
On 2018-08-12, John Long <codeb...@inbox.lv> wrote:
I don't get why anybody would want transcoding in 2018.
They don't usually *want* transcoding but are forced to do it by poor
codec support on client devices.
Exactly. The only reason I use Serviio is for the on the fly transcoding and remuxing. It is nice as it allows me to watch my not-insubstantial Divx collection on non divx certified devices. For example, I have a few BDP-S5200 bluray players that only support h264 in an m2ts container. Rather than remuxing my >4TB mkv library, Serviio will instead remux my mkv into m2ts containers on the fly whenever I happen to be watching something from my bluray player. Remuxing has no quality loss, it only moves the video encoding into a container format that is compatible with your device. Serviio will only transcode files as a last resort. Similarly, I have a few Xbox 360's which only support avi and WMV video containers, and mp3 for audio over dlna. I would rather have reduced quality from transcoding, than no quality content at all. The transcoding feature is also useful for ensuring compatibility on all browsers when using the integrated HTML5 media player. At the end of the day, it all comes down to being able to ensure codec compatibility among devices with wildly varying codec support.