Hi,
I'm seeing a recurring problem whereby a users process is causing the system to crash by (I believe) filling up the /tmp partition. Twice this week this has happened shortly after I have renice-d a resource hungry bittorrent download I've seen a user running.

I have sensible user block quotas set on the /home partition and everywhere else besides /tmp that the users could be putting data, and there is of course the 5% of space reserved on all partitions. Everything divided into separate partitions as recommended. /tmp is virtually unused most of the time so I can't figure out what might be happening.

When the system comes back up everything appears to be fine, /tmp having been emptied by rc. There seems to be nothing logged to tell me what might have happened so I'm just left scratching my head.

Does anyone have any ideas, or suggest ways of getting more diagnostic information?

Thanks
Mike

$ uname -a
OpenBSD xxx.xxx.xxx 3.7 GENERIC#50 i386

$ df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a      251M   82.3M    156M    35%    /
/dev/wd0h     36.5G   13.7G   20.9G    40%    /home
/dev/wd0i     36.5G   25.0G    9.6G    72%    /home2
/dev/wd0d      251M   26.0K    238M     0%    /tmp
/dev/wd0e     1006M    356M    600M    37%    /usr
/dev/wd0f      251M   86.7M    152M    36%    /var

$ mount
/dev/wd0a on / type ffs (local, softdep)
/dev/wd0h on /home type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, with quotas, softdep)
/dev/wd0i on /home2 type ffs (local, nodev, with quotas, softdep)
/dev/wd0d on /tmp type ffs (local, nodev, noexec, nosuid, softdep)
/dev/wd0e on /usr type ffs (local, nodev, softdep)
/dev/wd0f on /var type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid, softdep)